Psalm 105. Confitemini Domino
O GIVE thanks unto the Lord, and call upon his Name : tell the people what things he hath done.
2. O let your songs be of him, and praise him : and let your talking be of all his wondrous works.
3. Rejoice in his holy Name : let the heart of them rejoice that seek the Lord.
4. Seek the Lord and his strength : seek his face evermore.
5. Remember the marvellous works that he hath done : his wonders, and the judgements of his mouth.
6. O ye seed of Abraham his servant : ye children of Jacob his chosen.
7. He is the Lord our God : his judgements are in all the world.
8. He hath been alway mindful of his covenant and promise : that he made to a thousand generations;
9. Even the covenant that he made with Abraham : and the oath that he sware unto Isaac;
10. And appointed the same unto Jacob for a law : and to Israel for an everlasting testament;
11. Saying, Unto thee will I give the land of Canaan : the lot of your inheritance;
12. When there were yet but a few of them : and they strangers in the land;
13. What time as they went from one nation to another : from one kingdom to another people;
14. He suffered no man to do them wrong : but reproved even kings for their sakes;
15. Touch not mine Anointed : and do my prophets no harm.
16. Moreover, he called for a dearth upon the land : and destroyed all the provision of bread.
17. But he had sent a man before them : even Joseph, who was sold to be a bond-servant;
18. Whose feet they hurt in the stocks : the iron entered into his soul;
19. Until the time came that his cause was known : the word of the Lord tried him.
20. The king sent, and delivered him : the prince of the people let him go free.
21. He made him lord also of his house : and ruler of all his substance;
22. That he might inform his princes after his will : and teach his senators wisdom.
23. Israel also came into Egypt : and Jacob was a stranger in the land of Ham.
24. And he increased his people exceedingly : and made them stronger than their enemies.
25. Whose heart turned, so that they hated his people : and dealt untruly with his servants.
26. Then sent he Moses his servant : and Aaron whom he had chosen.
27. And these shewed his tokens among them : and wonders in the land of Ham.
28. He sent darkness, and it was dark : and they were not obedient unto his word.
29. He turned their waters into blood : and slew their fish.
30. Their land brought forth frogs : yea, even in their kings’ chambers.
31. He spake the word, and there came all manner of flies : and lice in all their quarters.
32. He gave them hail-stones for rain : and flames of fire in their land.
33. He smote their vines also and fig-trees : and destroyed the trees that were in their coasts.
34. He spake the word, and the grasshoppers came, and caterpillars innumerable : and did eat up all the grass in their land, and devoured the fruit of their ground.
35. He smote all the first-born in their land : even the chief of all their strength.
36. He brought them forth also with silver and gold : there was not one feeble person among their tribes.
37. Egypt was glad at their departing : for they were afraid of them.
38. He spread out a cloud to be a covering : and fire to give light in the night-season.
39. At their desire he brought quails : and he filled them with the bread of heaven.
40. He opened the rock of stone, and the waters flowed out : so that rivers ran in the dry places.
41. For why? he remembered his holy promise : and Abraham his servant.
42. And he brought forth his people with joy: and his chosen with gladness.
43. And gave them the lands of the heathen : and they took the labours of the people in possession;
44. That they might keep his statutes : and observe his laws.
Psalm 106. Confitemini Domino
O GIVE thanks unto the Lord, for he is gracious : and his mercy endureth for ever.
2. Who can express the noble acts of the Lord : or shew forth all his praise?
3. Blessed are they that alway keep judgement : and do righteousness.
4. Remember me, O Lord, according to the favour that thou bearest unto thy people : O visit me with thy salvation;
5. That I may see the felicity of thy chosen : and rejoice in the gladness of thy people, and give thanks with thine inheritance.
6. We have sinned with our fathers : we have done amiss, and dealt wickedly.
7. Our fathers regarded not thy wonders in Egypt, neither kept they thy great goodness in remembrance : but were disobedient at the sea, even at the Red sea.
8. Nevertheless, he helped them for his Name’s sake : that he might make his power to be known.
9. He rebuked the Red sea also, and it was dried up : so he led them through the deep, as through a wilderness.
10. And he saved them from the adversaries’ hand : and delivered them from the hand of the enemy.
11. As for those that troubled them, the waters overwhelmed them : there was not one of them left.
12. Then believed they his words : and sang praise unto him.
13. But within a while they forgat his works : and would not abide his counsel.
14. But lust came upon them in the wilderness : and they tempted God in the desert.
15. And he gave them their desire : and sent leanness withal into their soul.
16. They angered Moses also in the tents : and Aaron the saint of the Lord.
17. So the earth opened, and swallowed up Dathan : and covered the congregation of Abiram.
18. And the fire was kindled in their company : the flame burnt up the ungodly.
19. They made a calf in Horeb : and worshipped the molten image.
20. Thus they turned their glory : into the similitude of a calf that eateth hay.
21. And they forgat God their Saviour : who had done so great things in Egypt;
22. Wondrous works in the land of Ham : and fearful things by the Red sea.
23. So he said, he would have destroyed them, had not Moses his chosen stood before him in the gap : to turn away his wrathful indignation, lest he should destroy them.
24. Yea, they thought scorn of that pleasant land : and gave no credence unto his word;
25. But murmured in their tents : and hearkened not unto the voice of the lord.
26. Then lift he up his hand against them : to overthrow them in the wilderness;
27. To cast out their seed among the nations : and to scatter them in the lands.
28. They joined themselves unto Baal-peor : and ate the offerings of the dead.
29. Thus they provoked him to anger with their own inventions : and the plague was great among them.
30. Then stood up Phinees and prayed : and so the plague ceased.
31. And that was counted unto him for righteousness : among all posterities for evermore.
32. They angered him also at the waters of strife : so that he punished Moses for their sakes;
33. Because they provoked his spirit : so that he spake unadvisedly with his lips.
34. Neither destroyed they the heathen : as the Lord commanded them;
35. But were mingled among the heathen : and learned their works.
36. Insomuch that they worshipped their idols, which turned to their own decay : yea, they offered their sons and their daughters unto devils;
37. And shed innocent blood, even the blood of their sons and of their daughters : whom they had offered unto the idols of Canaan; and the land was defiled with blood.
38. Thus were they stained with their own works : and went a whoring with their own inventions.
39. Therefore was the wrath of the Lord kindled against his people : insomuch that he abhorred his own inheritance.
40. And he gave them over into the hands of the heathen : and they that hated them were lords over them.
41. Their enemies oppressed them : and had them in subjection.
42. Many a time did he deliver them : but they rebelled against him with their own inventions, and were brought down in their wickedness.
43. Nevertheless, when he saw their adversity : he heard their complaint.
44. He thought upon his covenant, and pitied them according unto the multitude of his mercies : yea, he made all those that led them away captive to pity them.
45. Deliver us, O Lord our God, and gather us from among the heathen : that we may give thanks unto thy holy Name, and make our boast of thy praise.
46. Blessed be the Lord God of Israel from everlasting and world without end : and let all the people say, Amen.