Psalm 75. Confitebimur tibi
UNTO thee, O God, do we give thanks : yea, unto thee do we give thanks.
2. Thy Name also is so nigh : and that do thy wondrous works declare.
3. When I receive the congregation : I shall judge according unto right.
4. The earth is weak, and all the inhabiters thereof : I bear up the pillars of it.
5. I said unto the fools, Deal not so madly: and to the ungodly, Set not up your horn.
6. Set not up your horn on high : and speak not with a stiff neck.
7. For promotion cometh neither from the east, nor from the west : nor yet from the south.
8. And why? God is the Judge : he putteth down one, and setteth up another.
9. For in the hand of the Lord there is a cup, and the wine is red : it is full mixed, and he poureth out of the same.
10. As for the dregs thereof : all the ungodly of the earth shall drink them, and suck them out.
11. But I will talk of the God of Jacob : and praise him for ever.
12. All the horns of the ungodly also will I break : and the horns of the righteous shall be exalted.
Psalm 76. Notus in Judaea
IN JEWRY is God known : his Name is great in Israel.
2. At Salem is his tabernacle : and his dwelling in Sion.
3. There brake he the arrows of the bow : the shield, the sword, and the battle.
4. Thou art of more honour and might : than the hills of the robbers.
5. The proud are robbed, they have slept their sleep : and all the men whose hands were mighty have found nothing.
6. At thy rebuke, O God of Jacob : both the chariot and horse are fallen.
7. Thou, even thou art to be feared : and who may stand in thy sight when thou art angry?
8. Thou didst cause thy judgement to be heard from heaven : the earth trembled, and was still;
9. When God arose to judgement : and to help all the meek upon earth.
10. The fierceness of man shall turn to thy praise : and the fierceness of them shalt thou refrain.
11. Promise unto the Lord your God, and keep it, all ye that are round about him : bring presents unto him that ought to be feared.
12. He shall refrain the spirit of princes : and is wonderful among the kings of the earth.