Psalm 70. Deus, in adjutorium
HASTE thee, O God, to deliver me : make haste to help me, O Lord.
2. Let them be ashamed and confounded that seek after my soul : let them be turned backward and put to confusion that wish me evil.
3. Let them for their reward be soon brought to shame : that cry over me, There, there.
4. But let all those that seek thee be joyful and glad in thee : and let all such as delight in thy salvation say alway, The Lord be praised.
5. As for me, I am poor and in misery : haste thee unto me, O God.
6. Thou art my helper and my redeemer : O Lord, make no long tarrying.
Psalm 71. In te, Domine, speravi
IN THEE, O Lord, have I put my trust, let me never be put to confusion : but rid me and deliver me in thy righteousness, incline thine ear unto me, and save me.
2. Be thou my strong hold, whereunto I may alway resort : thou hast promised to help me, for thou art my house of defence and my castle.
3. Deliver me, O my God, out of the hand of the ungodly : out of the hand of the unrighteous and cruel man.
4. For thou, O Lord God, art the thing that I long for : thou art my hope, even from my youth.
5. Through thee have I been holden up ever since I was born : thou art he that took me out of my mother’s womb; my praise shall be always of thee.
6. I am become as it were a monster unto many : but my sure trust is in thee.
7. O let my mouth be filled with thy praise : that I may sing of thy glory and honour all the day long.
8. Cast me not away in the time of age : forsake me not when my strength faileth me.
9. For mine enemies speak against me, and they that lay wait for my soul take their counsel together, saying : God hath forsaken him; persecute him, and take him, for there is none to deliver him.
10. Go not far from me, O God : my God, haste thee to help me.
11. Let them be confounded and perish that are against my soul : let them be covered with shame and dishonour that seek to do me evil.
12. As for me, I will patiently abide alway : and will praise thee more and more.
13. My mouth shall daily speak of thy righteousness and salvation : for I know no end thereof.
14. I will go forth in the strength of the Lord God : and will make mention of thy righteousness only.
15. Thou, O God, hast taught me from my youth up until now : therefore will I tell of thy wondrous works.
16. Forsake me not, O God, in mine old age, when I am gray-headed : until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to all them that are yet for to come.
17. Thy righteousness, O God, is very high : and great things are they that thou hast done; O God, who is like unto thee?
18. O what great troubles and adversities hast thou shewed me, and yet didst thou turn and refresh me : yea, and broughtest me from the deep of the earth again.
19. Thou hast brought me to great honour : and comforted me on every side.
20. Therefore will I praise thee and thy faithfulness, O God, playing upon an instrument of musick : unto thee will I sing upon the harp, O thou Holy One of Israel.
21. My lips will be fain when I sing unto thee : and so will my soul whom thou hast delivered.
22. My tongue also shall talk of thy righteousness all the day long : for they are confounded and brought unto shame that seek to do me evil.
Psalm 72. Deus, judicium
GIVE the King thy judgements, O God : and thy righteousness unto the King’s son.
2. Then shall he judge thy people according unto right : and defend the poor.
3. The mountains also shall bring peace : and the little hills righteousness unto the people.
4. He shall keep the simple folk by their right : defend the children of the poor, and punish the wrong-doer.
5. They shall fear thee, as long as the sun and moon endureth : from one generation to another.
6. He shall come down like the rain into a fleece of wool : even as the drops that water the earth.
7. In his time shall the righteous flourish : yea, and abundance of peace, so long as the moon endureth.
8. His dominion shall be also from the one sea to the other : and from the flood unto the world’s end.
9. They that dwell in the wilderness shall kneel before him : his enemies shall lick the dust.
10. The kings of Tharsis and of the isles shall give presents : the kings of Arabia and Saba shall bring gifts.
11. All kings shall fall down before him : all nations shall do him service.
12. For he shall deliver the poor when he crieth : the needy also, and him that hath no helper.
13. He shall be favourable to the simple and needy : and shall preserve the souls of the poor.
14. He shall deliver their souls from falsehood and wrong : and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
15. He shall live, and unto him shall be given of the gold of Arabia : prayer shall be made ever unto him, and daily shall he be praised.
16. There shall be an heap of corn in the earth, high upon the hills : his fruit shall shake like Libanus, and shall be green in the city like grass upon the earth.
17. His Name shall endure for ever; his Name shall remain under the sun among the posterities : which shall be blessed through him; and all the heathen shall praise him.
18. Blessed be the Lord God, even the God of Israel : which only doeth wondrous things;
19. And blessed be the Name of his majesty for ever : and all the earth shall be filled with his majesty. Amen, Amen.