Psalm 54 Deus, in nomine
SAVE me, O God, for thy Name’s sake : and avenge me in thy strength.
2. Hear my prayer, O God : and hearken unto the words of my mouth.
3. For strangers are risen up against me : and tyrants, which have not God before their eyes, seek after my soul.
4. Behold, God is my helper : the Lord is with them that uphold my soul.
5. He shall reward evil unto mine enemies : destroy thou them in thy truth.
6. An offering of a free heart will I give thee, and praise thy Name, O Lord : because it is so comfortable.
7. For he hath delivered me out of all my trouble : and mine eye hath seen his desire upon mine enemies.
Psalm 55 Exaudi, Deus
HEAR my prayer, O God : and hide not thyself from my petition.
2. Take heed unto me, and hear me : how I mourn in my prayer, and am vexed.
3. The enemy crieth so, and the ungodly cometh on so fast : for they are minded to do me some mischief; so maliciously are they set against me.
4. My heart is disquieted within me : and the fear of death is fallen upon me.
5. Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me : and an horrible dread hath overwhelmed me.
6. And I said, O that I had wings like a dove : for then would I flee away, and be at rest.
7. Lo, then would I get me away far off : and remain in the wilderness.
8. I would make haste to escape : because of the stormy wind and tempest.
9. Destroy their tongues, O Lord, and divide them : for I have spied unrighteousness and strife in the city.
10. Day and night they go about within the walls thereof : mischief also and sorrow are in the midst of it.
11. Wickedness is therein : deceit and guile go not out of their streets.
12. For it is not an open enemy, that hath done me this dishonour : for then I could have borne it.
13. Neither was it mine adversary, that did magnify himself against me : for then peradventure I would have hid myself from him.
14. But it was even thou, my companion : my guide, and mine own familiar friend.
15. We took sweet counsel together : and walked in the house of God as friends.
16. Let death come hastily upon them, and let them go down quick into hell : for wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them.
17. As for me, I will call upon God : and the Lord shall save me.
18. In the evening, and morning, and at noonday will I pray, and that instantly : and he shall hear my voice.
19. It is he that hath delivered my soul in peace from the battle that was against me : for there were many with me.
20. Yea, even God, that endureth for ever, shall hear me, and bring them down : for they will not turn, nor fear God.
21. He laid his hands upon such as be at peace with him : and he brake his covenant.
22. The words of his mouth were softer than butter, having war in his heart : his words were smoother than oil, and yet be they very swords.
23. O cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall nourish thee : and shall not suffer the righteous to fall for ever.
24. And as for them : thou, O God, shalt bring them into the pit of destruction.
25. The blood-thirsty and deceitful men shall not live out half their days : nevertheless, my trust shall be in thee, O Lord.