Psalm 50. Deus deorum
THE Lord, even the most mighty God, hath spoken : and called the world, from the rising up of the sun unto the going down thereof.
2. Out of Sion hath God appeared : in perfect beauty.
3. Our God shall come, and shall not keep silence : there shall go before him a consuming fire, and a mighty tempest shall be stirred up round about him.
4. He shall call the heaven from above : and the earth, that he may judge his people.
5. Gather my saints together unto me : those that have made a covenant with me with sacrifice.
6. And the heavens shall declare his righteousness : for God is Judge himself.
7. Hear, O my people, and I will speak : I myself will testify against thee, O Israel; for I am God, even thy God.
8. I will not reprove thee because of thy sacrifices, or for thy burnt-offerings : because they were not alway before me.
9. I will take no bullock out of thine house : nor he-goat out of thy folds.
10. For all the beasts of the forest are mine : and so are the cattle upon a thousand hills.
11. I know all the fowls upon the mountains : and the wild beasts of the field are in my sight.
12. If I be hungry, I will not tell thee : for the whole world is mine, and all that is therein.
13. Thinkest thou that I will eat bulls’ flesh : and drink the blood of goats?
14. Offer unto God thanksgiving : and pay thy vows unto the most Highest.
15. And call upon me in the time of trouble : so will I hear thee, and thou shalt praise me.
16. But unto the ungodly said God : Why dost thou preach my laws, and takest my covenant in thy mouth;
17. Whereas thou hatest to be reformed : and has cast my words behind thee?
18. When thou sawest a thief, thou consentedst unto him : and hast been partaker with the adulterers.
19. Thou hast let thy mouth speak wickedness : and with thy tongue thou hast set forth deceit.
20. Thou satest, and spakest against thy brother : yea, and hast slandered thine own mother’s son.
21. These things hast thou done, and I held my tongue, and thou thoughtest wickedly, that I am even such a one as thyself : but I will reprove thee, and set before thee the things that thou hast done.
22. O consider this, ye that forget God : lest I pluck you away, and there be none to deliver you.
23. Whoso offereth me thanks and praise, he honoureth me : and to him that ordereth his conversation right will I shew the salvation of God.
Psalm 51. Miserere mei, Deus
HAVE mercy upon me, O God, after thy great goodness : according to the multitude of thy mercies do away mine offences.
2. Wash me throughly from my wickedness : and cleanse me from my sin.
3. For I acknowledge my faults : and my sin is ever before me.
4. Against thee only have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight : that thou mightest be justified in thy saying, and clear when thou art judged.
5. Behold, I was shapen in wickedness : and in sin hath my mother conceived me.
6. But lo, thou requirest truth in the inward parts: and shalt make me to understand wisdom secretly.
7. Thou shalt purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean : thou shalt wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8. Thou shalt make me hear of joy and gladness : that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
9. Turn thy face from my sins : and put out all my misdeeds.
10. Make me a clean heart, O God : and renew a right spirit within me.
11. Cast me not away from thy presence : and take not thy holy Spirit from me.
12. O give me the comfort of thy help again : and stablish me with thy free Spirit.
13. Then shall I teach thy ways unto the wicked : and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
14. Deliver me from blood-guiltiness, O God, thou that art the God of my health : and my tongue shall sing of thy righteousness.
15. Thou shalt open my lips, O Lord : and my mouth shall shew thy praise.
16. For thou desirest no sacrifice, else would I give it thee : but thou delightest not in burnt-offerings.
17. The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit : a broken and contrite heart, O God, shalt thou not despise.
18. O be favourable and gracious unto Sion : build thou the walls of Jerusalem.
19. Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifice of righteousness, with the burnt-offerings and oblations : then shall they offer young bullocks upon thine altar.