Psalm 37. Noli aemulari
FRET not thyself because of the ungodly : neither be thou envious against the evil-doers.
2. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass : and be withered even as the green herb.
3. Put thou thy trust in the Lord, and be doing good : dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
4. Delight thou in the Lord : and he shall give thee thy heart’s desire.
5. Commit thy way unto the Lord, and put thy trust in him : and he shall bring it to pass.
6. He shall make thy righteousness as clear as the light ; and thy just dealing as the noon-day.
7. Hold thee still in the Lord, and abide patiently upon him : but grieve not thyself at him whose way doth prosper, against the man that doeth after evil counsels.
8. Leave off from wrath, and let go displeasure : fret not thyself, else shalt thou be moved to do evil.
9. Wicked doers shall be rooted out : and they that patiently abide the Lord, those shall inherit the land.
10. Yet a little while, and the ungodly shall be clean gone : thou shalt look after his place, and he shall be away.
11. But the meek-spirited shall possess the earth : and shall be refreshed in the multitude of peace.
12. The ungodly seeketh counsel against the just : and gnasheth upon him with his teeth.
13. The Lord shall laugh him to scorn : for he hath seen that his day is coming.
14. The ungodly have drawn out the sword, and have bent their bow : to cast down the poor and needy, and to slay such as are of a right conversation.
15. Their sword shall go through their own heart : and their bow shall be broken.
16. A small thing that the righteous hath : is better than great riches of the ungodly.
17. For the arms of the ungodly shall be broken : and the Lord upholdeth the righteous.
18. The Lord knoweth the days of the godly : and their inheritance shall endure for ever.
19. They shall not be confounded in the perilous time : and in the days of dearth they shall have enough.
20. As for the ungodly, they shall perish; and the enemies of the Lord shall consume as the fat of lambs : yea, even as the smoke shall they consume away.
21. The ungodly borroweth, and payeth not again : but the righteous is merciful and liberal.
22. Such as are blessed of God shall possess the land : and they that are cursed of him shall be rooted out.
23. The Lord ordereth a good man’s going : and maketh his way acceptable to himself.
24. Though he fall, he shall not be cast away : for the Lord upholdeth him with his hand.
25. I have been young, and now am old : and yet saw I never the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging their bread.
26. The righteous is ever merciful, and lendeth : and his seed is blessed.
27. Flee from evil, and do the thing that is good : and dwell for evermore.
28. For the Lord loveth the thing that is right : he forsaketh not his that be godly, but they are preserved for ever.
29. The unrighteous shall be punished : as for the seed of the ungodly, it shall be rooted out.
30. The righteous shall inherit the land : and dwell therein forever.
31. The mouth of the righteous is exercised in wisdom : and his tongue will be talking of judgement.
32. The law of his God is in his heart : and his goings shall not slide.
33. The ungodly seeth the righteous : and seeketh occasion to slay him.
34. The Lord will not leave him in his hand : nor condemn him when he is judged.
35. Hope thou in the Lord, and keep his way, and he shall promote thee, that thou shalt possess the land : when the ungodly shall perish, thou shalt see it.
36. I myself have seen the ungodly in great power : and flourishing like a green bay-tree.
37. I went by, and lo, he was gone : I sought him, but his place could no where be found.
38. Keep innocency, and take heed unto the thing that is right : for that shall bring a man peace at the last.
39. As for the transgressors, they shall perish together : and the end of the ungodly is, they shall be rooted out at the last.
40. But the salvation of the righteous cometh of the Lord : who is also their strength in the time of trouble.
41. And the Lord shall stand by them, and save them : he shall deliver them from the ungodly, and shall save them, because they put their trust in him.
Psalm 38. Domine, ne in furore
PUT me not to rebuke, O Lord, in thine anger : neither chasten me in thy heavy displeasure.
2. For thine arrows stick fast in me : and thy hand presseth me sore.
3. There is no health in my flesh, because of thy displeasure : neither is there any rest in my bones, by reason of my sin.
4. For my wickednesses are gone over my head : and are like a sore burden, too heavy for me to bear.
5. My wounds stink, and are corrupt : through my foolishness.
6. I am brought into so great trouble and misery : that I go mourning all the day long.
7. For my loins are filled with a sore disease : and there is no whole part in my body.
8. I am feeble, and sore smitten : I have roared for the very disquietness of my heart.
9. Lord, thou knowest all my desire : and my groaning is not hid from thee.
10. My heart panteth, my strength hath failed me : and the sight of mine eyes is gone from me.
11. My lovers and my neighbours did stand looking upon my trouble : and my kinsmen stood afar off.
12. They also that sought after my life laid snares for me : and they that went about to do me evil talked of wickedness, and imagined deceit all the day long.
13. As for me I was like a deaf men, and heard not: and as one that is dumb, who doth not open his mouth.
14. I became even as a man that heareth not : and in whose mouth are no reproofs.
15. For in thee, O Lord, have I put my trust : thou shalt answer for me, O Lord my God.
16. I have required that they, even mine enemies should not triumph over me : for when my foot slipped, they rejoiced greatly against me.
17. And I, truly, am set in the plague : and my heaviness is ever in my sight.
18. For I will confess my wickedness : and be sorry for my sin.
19. But mine enemies live, and are mighty : and they that hate me wrongfully are many in number.
20. They also that reward evil for good are against me : because I follow the thing that good is.
21. Forsake me not, O Lord my God : be not thou far from me.
22. Haste thee to help me : O Lord God of my salvation.