Psalm 143. Domine, exaudi
HEAR my prayer, O Lord, and consider my desire : hearken unto me for thy truth and righteousness’ sake.
2. And enter not into judgement with thy servant : for in thy sight shall no man living be justified.
3. For the enemy hath persecuted my soul; he hath smitten my life down to the ground : he hath laid me in the darkness, as the men that have been long dead.
4. Therefore is my spirit vexed within me : and my heart within me is desolate.
5. Yet do I remember the time past; I muse upon all thy works : yea, I exercise myself in the works of thy hands.
6. I stretch forth my hands unto thee : my soul gaspeth unto thee as a thirsty land.
7. Hear me, O Lord, and that soon, for my spirit waxeth faint : hide not thy face from me, lest I be like unto them that go down into the pit.
8. O let me hear thy loving-kindness betimes in the morning, for in thee is my trust : shew thou me the way that I should walk in, for I lift up my soul unto thee.
9. Deliver me, O Lord, from mine enemies : for I flee unto thee to hide me.
10. Teach me to do a thing that pleaseth thee, for thou art my God : let thy loving Spirit lead me forth into the land of righteousness.
11. Quicken me, O Lord, for thy Name’s sake : and for thy righteousness’ sake bring my soul out of trouble.
12. And of thy goodness slay mine enemies : and destroy all them that vex my soul ; for I am thy servant.
Psalm 144. Benedictus Dominus
BLESSED be the Lord my strength : who teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
2. My hope and my fortress, my castle and deliverer, my defender in whom I trust : who subdueth my people that is under me.
3. Lord, what is man, that thou hast such respect unto him : or the son of man, that thou so regardest him?
4. Man is like a thing of nought : his time passeth away like a shadow.
5. Bow thy heavens, O Lord, and come down : touch the mountains, and they shall smoke.
6. Cast forth thy lightning, and tear them : shoot out thine arrows, and consume them.
7. Send down thine hand from above : deliver me, and take me out of the great waters, from the hand of strange children.
8. Whose mouth talketh of vanity : and their right hand is a right hand of wickedness.
9. I will sing a new song unto thee, O God : and sing praises unto thee upon a ten-stringed lute.
10. Thou hast given victory unto kings : and hast delivered David thy servant from the peril of the sword.
11. Save me, and deliver me from the hand of strange children : whose mouth talketh of vanity, and their right hand is a right hand of iniquity.
12. That our sons may grow up as the young plants : and that our daughters may be as the polished corners of the temple.
13. That our garners may be full and plenteous with all manner of store : that our sheep may bring forth thousands and ten thousands in our streets.
14. That our oxen may be strong to labour, that there be no decay : no leading into captivity, and no complaining in our streets.
15. Happy are the people that are in such a case : yea, blessed are the people who have the Lord for their God.