Psalm 139. Domine, probasti
O LORD, thou hast searched me out and known me : thou knowest my down-sitting and mine up-rising, thou understandest my thoughts long before.
2. Thou art about my path, and about my bed : and spiest out all my ways.
3. For lo, there is not a word in my tongue : but thou, O Lord, knowest it altogether.
4. Thou hast fashioned me behind and before : and laid thine hand upon me.
5. Such knowledge is too wonderful and excellent for me : I cannot attain unto it.
6. Whither shall I go then from thy Spirit : or whither shall I go then from thy presence?
7. If I climb up into heaven, thou art there : if I go down to hell, thou art there also.
8. If I take the wings of the morning : and remain in the uttermost parts of the sea;
9. Even there also shall thy hand lead me : and thy right hand shall hold me.
10. If I say, Peradventure the darkness shall cover me : then shall my night be turned to day.
11. Yea, the darkness is no darkness with thee, but the night is as clear as the day : the darkness and light to thee are both alike.
12. For my reins are thine : thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb.
13. I will give thanks unto thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made : marvellous are thy works, and that my soul knoweth right well.
14. My bones are not hid from thee : though I be made secretly, and fashioned beneath in the earth.
15. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect : and in thy book were all my members written;
16. Which day by day were fashioned : when as yet there was none of them.
17. How dear are thy counsels unto me, O God : O how great is the sum of them!
18. If I tell them, they are more in number than the sand : when I wake up I am present with thee.
19. Wilt thou not slay the wicked, O God : depart from me, ye blood-thirsty men.
20. For they speak unrighteously against thee : and thine enemies take thy Name in vain.
21. Do not I hate them, O Lord, that hate thee : and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
22. Yea, I hate them right sore : even as though they were mine enemies.
23. Try me, O God, and seek the ground of my heart : prove me, and examine my thoughts.
24. Look well if there be any way of wickedness in me : and lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalm 140. Eripe me, Domine
DELIVER me, O Lord, from the evil man : and preserve me from the wicked man.
2. Who imagine mischief in their hearts : and stir up strife all the day long.
3. They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent : adders’ poison is under their lips.
4. Keep me, O Lord, from the hands of the ungodly : preserve me from the wicked men, who are purposed to overthrow my goings.
5. The proud have laid a snare for me, and spread a net abroad with cords : yea, and set traps in my way.
6. I said unto the Lord, Thou art my God : hear the voice of my prayers, O Lord.
7. O Lord God, thou strength of my health : thou hast covered my head in the day of the battle.
8. Let not the ungodly have his desire, O Lord : let not his mischievous imagination prosper, lest they be too proud.
9. Let the mischief of their own lips fall upon the head of them : that compass me about.
10. Let hot burning coals fall upon them : let them be cast into the fire and into the pit, that they never rise up again.
11. A man full of words shall not prosper upon the earth : evil shall hunt the wicked person to overthrow him.
12. Sure I am that the Lord will avenge the poor : and maintain the cause of the helpless.
13. The righteous also shall give thanks unto thy Name : and the just shall continue in thy sight.