Psalm 137. Super flumina
BY THE waters of Babylon we sat down and wept: when we remembered thee, O Sion.
2. As for our harps, we hanged them up : upon the trees that are therein.
3. For they that led us away captive required of us then a song, and melody in our heaviness : Sing us one of the songs of Sion.
4. How shall we sing the Lord’s song : in a strange land?
5. If I forget thee, O Jerusalem : let my right hand forget her cunning.
6. If I do not remember thee, let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth : yea, if I prefer not Jerusalem in my mirth.
7. Remember the children of Edom, O Lord, in the day of Jerusalem : how they said, Down with it, down with it, even to the ground.
8. O daughter of Babylon , wasted with misery : yea, happy shall he be that rewardeth thee, as thou hast served us.
9. Blessed shall he be that taketh thy children : and throweth them against the stones.
Psalm 138. Confitebor tibi
I WILL give thanks unto thee, O Lord, with my whole heart : even before the gods will I sing praise unto thee.
2. I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy Name, because of thy loving-kindness and truth : for thou hast magnified thy Name and thy word above all things.
3. When I called upon thee, thou heardest me : and enduedst my soul with much strength.
4. All the kings of the earth shall praise thee, O Lord : for they have heard the words of thy mouth.
5. Yea, they shall sing in the ways of the Lord : that great is the glory of the Lord.
6. For though the Lord be high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly : as for the proud, he beholdeth them afar off.
7. Though I walk in the midst of trouble, yet shalt thou refresh me : thou shalt stretch forth thy hand upon the furiousness of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me.
8. The lord shall make good his loving-kindness toward me : yea, thy mercy, O Lord, endureth for ever; despise not then the works of thine own hands.