Psalm 127. Nisi Dominus
EXCEPT the Lord build the house : their labour is but lost that build it.
2. Except the Lord keep the city : the watchman waketh but in vain.
3. It is but lost labour that ye haste to rise up early, and so late take rest, and eat the bread of carefulness : for so he giveth his beloved sleep.
4. Lo, children and the fruit of the womb : are an heritage and gift that cometh of the Lord.
5. Like as the arrows in the hand of the giant : even so are the young children.
6. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them : they shall not be ashamed when they speak with their enemies in the gate.
Psalm 128. Beati omnes
BLESSED are all they that fear the Lord : and walk in his ways.
2. For thou shalt eat the labours of thine hands : O well is thee, and happy shalt thou be.
3. Thy wife shall be as the fruitful vine : upon the walls of thine house.
4. Thy children like the olive-branches : round about thy table.
5. Lo, thus shall the man be blessed : that feareth the Lord.
6. The Lord from out of Sion shall so bless thee : that thou shalt see Jerusalem in prosperity all thy life long.
7. Yea, that thou shalt see thy children’s children : and peace upon Israel.
Psalm 129. Saepe expugnaverunt
MANY a time have they fought against me from my youth up : may Israel now say.
2. Yea, many a time have they vexed me from my youth up : but they have not prevailed against me.
3. The plowers plowed upon my back : and made long furrows.
4. But the righteous Lord : hath hewn the snares of the ungodly in pieces.
5. Let them be confounded and turned backward : as many as have evil will at Sion.
6. Let them be even as the grass growing upon the house-tops : which withereth afore it be plucked up;
7. Whereof the mower filleth not his hand : neither he that bindeth up the sheaves his bosom.
8. So that they who go by say not so much as, The Lord prosper you : we wish you good luck in the Name of the Lord.