Psalm 3. Domine, quid multiplicati
LORD, how are they increased that trouble me : many are they that rise against me.
2. Many one there be that say of my soul : There is no help for him in his God.
3. But thou, O Lord, art my defender : thou art my worship, and the lifter up of my head.
4. I did call upon the Lord with my voice : and he heard me out of his holy hill.
5. I laid me down and slept, and rose up again : for the Lord sustained me.
6. I will not be afraid for ten thousands of the people : that have set themselves against me round about.
7. Up, Lord, and help me, O my God : for thou smitest all mine enemies upon the cheekbone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly.
8. Salvation belongeth unto the Lord : and thy blessing is upon thy people.
Psalm 4. Cum invocarem
HEAR me when I call, O God of my righteousness : thou hast set me at liberty when I was in trouble; have mercy upon me, and hearken unto my prayer.
2. O ye sons of men, how long will ye blaspheme mine honour : and have such pleasure in vanity, and seek after leasing?
3. Know this also, that the Lord hath chosen to himself the man that is godly: when I call upon the Lord, he will hear me.
4. Stand in awe, and sin not : commune with your own heart, and in your chamber, and be still.
5. Offer the sacrifice of righteousness : and put your trust in the Lord.
6. There be many that say : Who will shew us any good?
7. Lord, lift thou up : the light of thy countenance upon us.
8. Thou hast put gladness in my heart : since the time that their corn and wine and oil increased.
9. I will lay me down in peace, and take my rest : for it is thou, Lord, only, that makest me dwell in safety.