Psalm 16. Conserva me, Domine
PRESERVE me, O God : for in thee have I put my trust.
2. O my soul, thou hast said unto the Lord : Thou art my God, my goods are nothing unto thee.
3. All my delight is upon the saints, that are in the earth : and upon such as excel in virtue.
4. But they that run after another god : shall have great trouble.
5. Their drink-offerings of blood will I not offer : neither make mention of their names within my lips.
6. The Lord himself is the portion of mine inheritance, and of my cup : thou shalt maintain my lot.
7. The lot is fallen unto me in a fair ground : yea, I have a goodly heritage.
8. I will thank the Lord for giving me warning : my reins also chasten me in the night-season.
9. I have set God always before me : for he is on my right hand, therefore I shall not fall.
10. Wherefore my heart was glad, and my glory rejoiced : my flesh also shall rest in hope.
11. For why? thou shalt not leave my soul in hell : neither shalt thou suffer thy Holy One to see corruption.
12. Thou shalt shew me the path of life; in thy presence is the fulness of joy : and at thy right hand there is pleasure for evermore.
Psalm 17. Exaudi, Domine
HEAR the right, O Lord, consider my complaint : and hearken unto my prayer, that goeth not out of feigned lips.
2. Let my sentence come forth from thy presence : and let thine eyes look upon the thing that is equal.
3. Thou hast proved and visited mine heart in the night-season; thou hast tried me, and shalt find no wickedness in me; for I am utterly purposed that my mouth shall not offend.
4. Because of men’s works, that are done against the words of thy lips : I have kept me from the ways of the destroyer.
5. O hold thou up my goings in thy paths : that my footsteps slip not.
6. I have called upon thee, O God, for thou shalt hear me : incline thine ear to me, and hearken unto my words.
7. Shew thy marvellous loving-kindness, thou that art the Saviour of them which put their trust in thee : from such as resist thy right hand.
8. Keep me as the apple of an eye : hide me under the shadow of thy wings.
9. From the ungodly that trouble me : mine enemies compass me round about to take away my soul.
10. They are inclosed in their own fat : and their mouth speaketh proud things.
11. They lie waiting in our way on every side : turning their eyes down to the ground.
12. Like of a lion that is greedy of his prey : and as it were a lion’s whelp. lurking in secret places.
13. Up, Lord, disappoint him, and cast him down : deliver my soul from the ungodly, which is a sword of thine;
14. From the men of thy hand, O Lord, from the men, I say, and from the evil world : which have their portion in this life, whose bellies thou fillest with thy hid treasure.
15. They have children at their desire : and leave the rest of their substance for their babes.
16. But as for me, I will behold thy presence in righteousness : and when I awake up after thy likeness, I shall be satisfied with it.