Psalm 87. Fundamenta ejus
HER foundations are upon the holy hills : the Lord loveth the gates of Sion more than all the dwellings of Jacob.
2. Very excellent things are spoken of thee : thou city of God.
3. I will think upon Rahab and Babylon : with them that know me.
4. Behold ye the Philistines also : and they of Tyre, with the Morians; lo, there was he born.
5. And of Sion it shall be reported that he was born in her : and the most High shall stablish her.
6. The Lord shall rehearse it when he writeth up the people : that he was born there.
7. The singers also and trumpeters shall he rehearse : All my fresh springs shall be in thee.
Psalm 88. Domine Deus
O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee : O let my prayer enter into thy presence, incline thine ear unto my calling.
2. For my soul is full of trouble : and my life draweth nigh unto hell.
3. I am counted as one of them that go down into the pit : and I have been even as a man that hath no strength.
4. Free among the dead, like unto them that are wounded, and lie in the grave : who are out of remembrance, and are cut away from thy hand.
5. Thou hast laid me in the lowest pit : in a place of darkness, and in the deep.
6. Thine indignation lieth hard upon me : and thou hast vexed me with all thy storms.
7. Thou hast put away mine acquaintance far from me : and made me to be abhorred of them.
8. I am so fast in prison : that I cannot get forth.
9. My sight faileth for very trouble : Lord, I have called daily upon thee, I have stretched forth my hands unto thee.
10. Dost thou shew wonders among the dead : or shall the dead rise up again, and praise thee?
11. Shall thy loving-kindness be shewed in the grave : or thy faithfulness in destruction?
12. Shall thy wondrous works be known in the dark : and thy righteousness in the land where all things are forgotten?
13. Unto thee have I cried, O Lord : and early shall my prayer come before thee.
14. Lord, why abhorrest thou my soul : and hidest thou thy face from me?
15. I am in misery, and like unto him that is at the point to die : even from my youth up thy terrors have I suffered with a troubled mind.
16. Thy wrathful displeasure goeth over me : and the fear of thee hath undone me.
17. They came round about me daily like water : and compassed me together on every side.
18. My lovers and friends hast thou put away from me: and hid mine acquaintance out of my sight.