Psalm 81. Exultate Deo
SING we merrily unto God our strength : make a cheerful noise unto the God of Jacob.
2. Take the psalm, bring hither the tabret : the merry harp with the lute.
3. Blow up the trumpet in the new-moon : even in the time appointed, and upon our solemn feast-day.
4. For this was made a statute for Israel : and a law of the God of Jacob.
5. This he ordained in Joseph for a testimony : when he came out of the land of Egypt, and had heard a strange language.
6. I eased his shoulder from the burden : and his hands were delivered from making the pots.
7. Thou calledst upon me in troubles, and I delivered thee : and heard thee what time as the storm fell upon thee.
8. I proved thee also : at the waters of strife.
9. Hear, O my people, and I will assure thee, O Israel : if thou wilt hearken unto me,
10. There shall no strange god be in thee : neither shalt thou worship any other god.
11. I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt : open thy mouth wide, and I shall fill it.
12. But my people would not hear my voice : and Israel would not obey me.
13. So I gave them up unto their own hearts’ lusts : and let them follow their own imaginations.
14. O that my people would have hearkened unto me : for if Israel had walked in my ways,
15. I should soon have put down their enemies : and turned my hand against their adversaries.
16. The haters of the Lord should have been found liars : but their time should have endured for ever.
17. He should have fed them also with the finest wheat-flour : and with honey out of the stony rock should I have satisfied thee.
Psalm 82. Deus stetit
GOD standeth in the congregation of princes : he is a Judge among gods.
2. How long will ye give wrong judgement : and accept the persons of the ungodly?
3. Defend the poor and fatherless : see that such as are in need and necessity have right.
4. Deliver the outcast and poor : save them from the hand of the ungodly.
5. They will not be learned nor understand, but walk on still in darkness : all the foundations of the earth are out of course.
6. I have said, Ye are gods : and ye are all the children of the most Highest.
7. But ye shall die like men : and fall like one of the princes.
8. Arise, O God, and judge thou the earth : for thou shalt take all heathen to thine inheritance.