Christ Driving the Money Changers out of the Temple, Valentin de Boulogne
circa 1618, Galleria Nazionale d’Arte Antica, Rome, Italy
Y HEART sheweth me the wickedness of the ungodly : that there is no fear of God before his eyes.
2. For he flattereth himself in his own sight : until his abominable sin be found out.
3. The words of his mouth are unrighteous, and full of deceit : he hath left off to behave himself wisely, and to do good.
4. He imagineth mischief upon his bed, and hath set himself in no good way : neither doth he abhor any thing that is evil.
5. Thy mercy, O Lord, reacheth unto the heavens : and thy faithfulness unto the clouds.
6. Thy righteousness standeth like the strong mountains : thy judgements are like the great deep.
7. Thou, Lord, shalt save both man and beast; How excellent is thy mercy, O God : and the children of men shall put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.
8. They shall be satisfied with the plenteousness of thy house : and thou shalt give them drink of thy pleasures, as out of the river.
9. For with thee is the well of life : and in thy light shall we see light.
10. O continue forth thy loving-kindness unto them that know thee : and thy righteousness unto them that are true of heart.
11. O let not the foot of pride come against me : and let not the hand of the ungodly cast me down.
12. There are they fallen, all that work wickedness : they are cast down, and shall not be able to stand.
12 AND on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry: 13 And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet. 14 And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it.
15 And they come to Jerusalem: and Jesus went into the temple, and began to cast out them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves; 16 And would not suffer that any man should carry any vessel through the temple. 17 And he taught, saying unto them, Is it not written, My house shall be called of all nations the house of prayer? but ye have made it a den of thieves. 18 And the scribes and chief priests heard it, and sought how they might destroy him: for they feared him, because all the people was astonished at his doctrine. 19 And when even was come, he went out of the city.