Miserere mei, Deus
E MERCIFUL unto me, O God, for man goeth about to devour me : he is daily fighting, and troubling me.
2. Mine enemies are daily in hand to swallow me up : for they be many that fight against me, O thou most Highest.
3. Nevertheless, though I am sometime afraid : yet put I my trust in thee.
4. I will praise God, because of his word : I have put my trust in God, and will not fear what flesh can do unto me.
5. They daily mistake my words : all that they imagine is to do me evil.
6. They hold all together, and keep themselves close : and mark my steps, when they lay wait for my soul.
7. Shall they escape for their wickedness : thou, O God, in thy displeasure shalt cast them down.
8. Thou tellest my flittings; put my tears into thy bottle : are not these things noted in thy book?
9. Whensoever I call upon thee, then shall mine enemies be put to flight : this I know; for God is on my side.
10. In God’s word I will rejoice : in the Lord’s word will I comfort me.
11. Yea, in God have I put my trust : I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.
12. Unto thee, O God, will I pay my vows : unto thee will I give thanks.
13. For thou hast delivered my soul from death, and my feet from falling : that I may walk before God in the light of the living.
Miserere mei, Deus
E MERCIFUL unto me, O God, be merciful unto me, for my soul trusteth in thee : and under the shadow of thy wings shall be my refuge, until this tyranny be over-past.
2. I will call unto the most high God : even unto the God that shall perform the cause which I have in hand.
3. He shall send from heaven : and save me from the reproof of him that would eat me up.
4. God shall send forth his mercy and truth : my soul is among lions.
5. And I lie even among the children of men, that are set on fire : whose teeth are spears and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword
6. Set up thyself, O God, above the heavens : and thy glory above all the earth.
7. They have laid a net for my feet, and pressed down my soul : they have digged a pit before me, and are fallen into the midst of it themselves.
8. My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed : I will sing, and give praise.
9. Awake up, my glory; awake, lute and harp : I myself will awake right early.
10. I will give thanks unto thee, O Lord, among the people : and I will sing unto thee among the nations.
11. For the greatness of thy mercy reacheth unto the heavens : and thy truth unto the clouds.
12. Set up thyself, O God, above the heavens : and thy glory above all the earth.
Si vere utique
RE your minds set upon righteousness, O ye congregation : and do ye judge the thing that is right, O ye sons of men?
2. Yea, ye imagine mischief in your heart upon the earth : and your hands deal with wickedness.
3. The ungodly are froward, even from their mother’s womb : as soon as they are born, they go astray, and speak lies.
4. They are as venomous as the poison of a serpent : even like the deaf adder that stoppeth her ears;
5. Which refuseth to hear the voice of the charmer : charm he never so wisely.
6. Break their teeth, O God, in their mouths; smite the jaw-bones of the lions, O Lord : let them fall away like water that runneth apace; and when they shoot their arrows let them be rooted out.
7. Let them consume away like a snail, and be like the untimely fruit of a woman : and let them not see the sun.
8. Or ever your pots be made hot with thorns : so let indignation vex him, even as a thing that is raw.
9. The righteous shall rejoice when he seeth the vengeance : he shall wash his footsteps in the blood of the ungodly.
10. So that a man shall say, Verily there is a reward for the righteous : doubtless there is a God that judgeth the earth.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost;
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.