Morning or Evening
GIVE thanks unto the Lord, for he is gracious : and his mercy endureth for ever.
2. Let them give thanks whom the Lord hath redeemed : and delivered from the hand of the enemy;
3. And gathered them out of the lands, from the east and from the west : from the north and from the south.
4. They went astray in the wilderness out of the way : and found no city to dwell in;
5. Hungry and thirsty : their soul fainted in them.
6. So they cried unto the Lord in their trouble : and he delivered them from their distress.
7. He led them forth by the right way : that they might go to the city where they dwelt.
8. O that men would therefore praise the Lord for his goodness : and declare the wonders that he doeth for the children of men!
9. For he satisfieth the empty soul : and filleth the hungry soul with goodness.
10. Such as sit in darkness, and in the shadow of death : being fast bound in misery and iron ;
11. Because they rebelled against the words of the Lord : and lightly regarded the counsel of the most Highest;
12. He also brought down their heart through heaviness : they fell down, and there was none to help them.
13. So when they cried unto the Lord in their trouble : he delivered them out of their distress.
14. For he brought them out of darkness, and out of the shadow of death : and brake their bonds in sunder.
15. O that men would therefore praise the Lord for his goodness : and declare the wonders that he doeth for the children of men!
16. For he hath broken the gates of brass : and smitten the bars of iron in sunder.
17. Foolish men are plagued for their offence : and because of their wickedness.
18. Their soul abhorred all manner of meat : and they were even hard at death’s door.
19. So when they cried unto the Lord in their trouble : he delivered them out of their distress.
20. He sent his word, and healed them : and they were saved from their destruction.
21. O that men would therefore praise the Lord for his goodness : and declare the wonders that he doeth for the children of men!
22. That they would offer unto him the sacrifice of thanksgiving : and tell out his works with gladness!
23. They that go down to the sea in ships : and occupy their business in great waters;
24. These men see the works of the Lord : and his wonders in the deep.
25. For at his word the stormy wind ariseth : which lifteth up the waves thereof.
26. They are carried up to the heaven, and down again to the deep : their soul melteth away because of the trouble.
27. They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man : and are at their wits’ end.
28. So when they cry unto the Lord in their trouble : he delivereth them out of their distress.
29. For he maketh the storm to cease : so that the waves thereof are still.
30. Then are they glad, because they are at rest : and so he bringeth them unto the haven where they would be.
31. O that men would therefore praise the Lord for his goodness : and declare the wonders that he doeth for the children of men!
32. That they would exalt him also in the congregation of the people : and praise him in the seat of the elders!
33. Who turneth the floods into a wilderness : and drieth up the water-springs.
34. A fruitful land maketh he barren : for the wickedness of them that dwell therein.
35. Again, he maketh the wilderness a standing water : and water-springs of a dry ground.
36. And there he setteth the hungry : that they may build them a city to dwell in;
37. That they may sow their land, and plant vineyards : to yield them fruits of increase.
38. He blesseth them so that they multiply exceedingly : and suffereth not their cattle to decrease.
39. And again, when they are minished and brought low : through oppression, through any plague or trouble;
40. Though he suffer them to be evil intreated through tyrants : and let them wander out of the way in the wilderness;
41. Yet helpeth he the poor out of misery : and maketh him households like a flock of sheep.
42. The righteous will consider this, and rejoice : and the mouth of all wickedness shall be stopped.
43. Whoso is wise will ponder these things : and they shall understand the loving-kindness of the Lord.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost;
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.